Under the direction of the Estate Manager, the Estate Gardener is responsible for the care and maintenance of the organic garden, perennial beds, roses, wildflower meadows, vegetable garden, lawn, trees, shrubs, and indoor plants. The Estate Gardener is responsible for designing and suggesting plant material for perennial beds, installation of small plantings, overseeing large planting projects, seeding and caring for wildflower meadows, pruning roses, trees, and shrubs throughout the property, overseeing care of lawn, designing and managing construction of organic garden, chicken coup, and greenhouse, complete care of organic vegetable garden, maintaining cutting garden, feeding and caring for chickens, caring for indoor plants and flowers, planning, purchasing, and installing seasonal planting displays, maintaining cleanliness of outdoor areas, helping with seasonal decorations and events. Hours are 8:30am-4:30pm, Monday-Friday with occasional flexibility.
Responsible for all aspects of the gardens, grounds, and equipment.
• Build and vet relationships with contractors.
• Manage, oversee, and instruct garden and landscape related contractors.
• Responsible for providing landscape contractors with written work lists to ensure
productivity and efficiency. Record of work lists should be maintained.
• Responsible for management, care, improvement, maintenance, regular watering and
upkeep of the gardens including, interior plants and flowers, formal and informal lawns,
areas of clipped trees and hedging, potted plants, and the planted areas surrounding the
• Maintain the highest standards of tidiness and orderliness in the gardens, grounds, and
• Work closely with the Estate Manager concerning ideas for improvements and additions
to the gardens and ground.
• Maintenance of the wider grounds including the lake, flower field, woodland areas.
Boundary hedging and trees within the grounds should be monitored, regularly watered
• Seasonal lawn maintenance procedures including application/monitoring of fertilizers,
organic chemical control, regular pruning, and monitoring ground conditions with
regards to the irrigation system.
• Maintenance and cleaning of hard surfaces around the property including paved areas
and terraces, driveways including regular gravel raking, and sweeping, leaf blowing and
upkeep of the batting cages.
• Maintenance and care of the equipment and machinery including keeping service
records and organizing and planning the servicing of machinery. and keeping service
• Alerting the Estate Manager and principal when trees, ground cover, grass, plants, or
irrigation are in need of more care.
• Receipt and expenditure record keeping required.
• Strict adherence to equipment, clothing, and personal safety standards.
• Weekly checks of irrigation, hardscape, paving, drainage, and guttering. Clean and
repair as needed.
• Weekly meetings with the Estate Manager.
• Seasonal decorating for Christmas and other holidays in accordance with the principal’s
• Cleaning up all outdoor areas after pets, including picking up pet waste.
• Feeding and caring for chickens.
• Outside propagation to enable regular production and harvesting of vegetables and
flowers, in line with the principal’s requirements.
• Light tree and shrub pruning below 12 ft. in height. Proper pruning techniques are
• Weekly inspections of plants. Document and report all changes and investigate and
• Design and maintenance of all pots, including watering and fertilizing.
• Selecting and arranging all interior floral design in vases while staying within provided
budget. Will consult principal as needed on flower types and colors.
• Strict adherence to weekly landscape maintenance schedule to retain a “weed-free, all
things green and thriving, and special event look” at all times.
• Order, select, purchase, and install any bulbs, replacement plants and seasonal color per
principal’s and Estate Manager’s schedule.
• Maintain receipts and adhere to expense report and budget requirements.
• Required to help when asked when needed due unforeseen circumstances arise.
• Regularly communicate with the Estate Manager and adhere to daily requests.
• All other duties as assigned by the Estate Manager and at the request of the principals
of the residence.
Compensation: Salary negotiable depending on experience, with a full benefits package (Health & Dental Insurance, Retirement Plan)